If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is Americanized fusion at its finest. Dry instant ramen is broken up and used as a type of crouton in this shredded cabbage salad, and the sesame soy dressing is enhanced by adding the contents of the ramen seasoning packet. The secret to keeping the ramen and almonds crunchy is to dry toast them in a pan and mix it in with the rest of the salad just before serving. —Joy Huang | The Cooking of Joy
Prep time: 5 min
packet instant ramen (I usually use Maruchan's chicken flavor)
cups slivered or sliced almonds
tablespoons sesame seeds
ounces bag coleslaw mix (I like to get the kind with green and red cabbage and carrots for color)
tablespoons rice vinegar
tablespoon soy sauce
cup canola, peanut, or another flavorless oil
tablespoon sesame oil
- Crumble the ramen into small pieces (I find it easiest to do this while the bag is still unopened). Save the seasoning packet for the dressing. Toast the ramen pieces, almonds, and sesame seeds on a dry pan over medium high heat until lightly browned. Set aside and let cool.
- Mix the coleslaw mix with the chopped scallions in a large bowl. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, mix the rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pour into a small jar. Add the canola oil, sesame oil, and ramen seasoning packet.
- Just before serving, add the toasted ramen pieces, almonds, and sesame seeds to the cabbage mix. Shake the dressing and toss into the salad. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shaved Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Sesame
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Noodles
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side