If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In searching for a side for roasted salmon, I thought of the lovely flavors of my Take Out Orange Chicken - In https://food52.com/recipes/14903-take-out-orange-chicken-in and decided that this broccoli side would be perfect. —inpatskitchen
Serves 4 to 6 as a side
For the sauce
- Zest of one orange
- Juice of two oranges (I used navel)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water to make a slurry
- Place all ingredients in a small sauce pan except for the slurry and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch slurry and simmer until thickened a bit. Set aside.
For the broccoli
- 8 to 10 cups broccoli florets cut from about two bunches of broccoli
- The orange sauce
- 8 ounce can of water chestnuts, drained
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Steam the broccoli florets for about five minutes until crisp tender and hold.
- Re heat the previously made orange sauce and stir in the water chestnuts and sesame oil.
- Place the broccoli in to a serving bowl and ladle some or all of the sauce over. Garnish with the toasted sesame seeds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Sesame
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side