If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is our go-to recipe for a hot summer potluck, and makes a great dinner on those nights when you just don't want to heat up the kitchen. It's good as a stand-alone light meal with the tofu and cashews for protein, but also makes a nice side dish. Vegetarian other than the fish sauce - substitute a vegan alternative if desired. You could probably save time by substituting a pre-cut slaw mix for some of the ingredients, and it's easy to make ahead -- just add the herbs and ramen noodles right before serving. It's adapted from a recipe in the Sunset cookbook. —teafanatic
Serves 8-10 as a side, 4 as a main course
- 1/2 small red cabbage, shredded (~3 cups)
- 1/2 small green cabbage, shredded (~3 cups)
- 2 large carrots, julienned (~3/4 cup)
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 bunch red radishes, cut into 1/8" matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces baked tofu, sliced into 1/4" matchsticks
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (~1/4 cup)
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint leaves, chopped (~1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup roasted cashew pieces, chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (mix of black and white)
- 2 ounces package dry instant ramen noodles, coarsely crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons thai fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon tamari (or substitute soy sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Use mandoline (2mm setting) to slice cabbage and red onion into a large bowl. If you don't have a mandoline, use a chef's knife to slice thinly.
- Add julienned carrots, matchsticked radishes, and sliced bell pepper to the bowl with cabbage & onion. Mix thoroughly.
- Add tofu (teriaki, asian, or other savory flavor works best) and sesame seeds and mix to distribute evenly.
- In a separate glass bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and mix well to combine and dissolve sugar completely.
- Pour dressing over slaw mixture. Refrigerate & let sit at least 30 minutes.
- Add cilantro, mint, chopped cashews, and crumbled ramen just before serving. Toss lightly to combine.