If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This fall/winter recipe comes from an old "Eating well" magazine that I happened to have lying around. I have changed it quite a bit, roasting the squash halves instead of microwaving, upping the onions and, garlic and beans and adding warm Indian spices to add extra flavor. Topped off with a breadcrumb, cheese, herb and pine nut mixture, this is perfect comfort food for a chilly evening. It could be a side dish or even a main - in that case, a salad and glass of wine would round out this aromatic, nourishing, absolutely delicious meal —shailini sisodia
Serves 4 - 6 people
- 2 acorn squash
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 8 cups swiss chard leaves, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups white beans ( eg cannelini)
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives, chopped
- half cup breadcrumbs ( regular or panko)
- half cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes - or more, to taste
- half teaspoon salt
- half teaspoon pepper
- Cut acorn squashes in half ( easier cutting - pierce in several places with a fork and microwave 1 minute, then cut a small slice off the bottoms so they rest flat. Scoop out flesh, leaving about 1/2 inch shell. Brush with 1 tbsp. oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper ( about 1/4 tsp. each) and roast cut side down, about 20 -25 mins until fork tender ( 350 degrees) Set aside In large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil and sauté onions about 5 mins. Add squash flesh and garlic, cook another 5 mins. or so. Stir in water, tomato paste ,1/4 tsp each salt and pepper, the cumin and coriander and the chili flakes and cook another 10 mins. Add a little water if it sticks to the pan. Stir in chard, cover and cook till tender, another 5 - 7 mins. Stir in beans and olives, cook till heated through, 3 - 4 mins. Remove from heat. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese and 1 tbsp. oil. Fill each squash half with about I cup of chard mixture - Place in a baking pan or sheet. Sprinkle each squash half with the breadcrumb mixture, a tbsp. of fresh cilantro or parsley and 1/2 tbsp. pinenuts. Broil in oven center till breadcrumbs are browned, or roast at 350 for about 7 - 10 mins.