If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A fresh take on the classic wedge salad, with Napa cabbage, crisp apples, red onion, and a robust, creamy buttermilk Parmesan dressing. —Elizabeth Stark
Serves 4 to 6
For the buttermilk Parmesan dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons finely crumbled or shredded Parmesan
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the garlic, sherry vinegar, Dijon, and sea salt with a fork. Whisking vigorously with the fork, drizzle in olive oil and then whisk in sour cream. When mixture is thick and creamy, slowly whisk in buttermilk. Finally, add the crumbled Parmesan, and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Chill dressing in the fridge while you prepare the salad.
For the Napa cabbage wedge salad:
- 1 small head Napa cabbage
- 1 small red onion
- 2 crisp apples (Honeycrisp, Fuji, and Braeburn are all favorites)
- 2 tablespoons tablespoons crumbled Parmesan, plus a few bits for crumbling over finished salad
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Keeping the core intact, slice Napa cabbage lengthwise into four equal quarters. Arrange on a large platter.
- Either with a mandoline or a sharp knife, carefully cut the red onion into paper thin slices. Core and cut apples into 1/8-inch thick slices. In a medium-sized bowl, toss apples and onions with a pinch of sea salt and a tablespoon of the prepared dressing.
- Tuck dressed onion and apple slices all around and between the leaves of the cabbage wedges. Drizzle the Napa wedges with most of the remaining dressing. Finish with chives, a pinch of sea salt, plenty of fresh ground black pepper, and scattered Parmesan.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!