If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Vibrant beet-stained gravlax, salmon roe, heirloom carrots, mixed lettuce with a creamy beet dressing. —julia sherman
- 1 / 2 pounds salmon filet (cut from the belly, so it's a thick piece)
- 2 beets (boiled or you can use canned beets if you must)
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dill seeds
Salad and Beet Dressing
- 4 ounces mixture of colored greens
- 3 - 4 small heirloom carrots of different color varieties
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small container of salmon roe
- 2 red beets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorn
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 / 2 cups olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- Mix sugar, salt and dill seeds and dredge the salmon filet until it’s coated on all sides.
- Place 4 thin slices of beets on a sheet of plastic wrap, about 4 times the size of the filet. Place the filet on top of the beets and then place more thin slices of beets on top of the filet to cover it. Wrap the salmon and beets with the plastic wrap. Prick holes in the saran wrap on both sides. Place the wrapped filet on a dish, with a small wire rack, like the kind used to cool cakes, under the salmon, to create a space for the oil in the salmon to drip into. Use a book or another plate to weight the salmon.
- Refrigerate. In 24 hours, turn the salmon to its other side. Wipe off any juices that may have drained into the plate. Continue turning the salmon once a day for 3 days, until it’s cured. Remove beets, wash off spices and pat dry before cutting. With a SHARP knife, slice on an angle, as thin as possible.
- Peel carrots and slice thinly in matchstick pieces, 4” long. Toss your mixture of greens with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Spoon dressing on one end of the plate. Arrange salmon on the other end of the plate. Top with greens and carrots.
- Place salmon roe around the plate, resist the urge to over do it.