I'm a massive fan of burgers, from the way they look, taste and feel to the simple delight of eating them with your hands. Although I do love the traditional beef/lamb version, I've been trying to find lighter options, that don't require a recliner and breathing aid post consumption.
The substitution of bread crumbs for macadamia and cashew nuts can only be seen as an A plus move. Not only do I feel light as a feather, (eliminating the heavy meat and bread) but the nuttiness provides a flavour and texture as perfect as the report card these little chicks bring home to me.
Don't get me wrong, I think there is nothing finer than passing out from a food coma, but the impending doom of guilt and un-comfortability is sometimes too much. Sometimes I feel guilty for my food, poor little things squashed in there carving exorcist-ial cries of help into my abdomen. From time to time, keep it light, your body will thank you.
These patties are my friends, they can also be your friends, and your friends' friends, and their friends. You can use them as a sandwich filling, or eat them as is; you can have them hot, or have them cold, eat them at home, or chuck them in a container to eat under the trees, lay them flat, or keep them rotund as finger food. Whatever you do and however you do it, I highly recommend a generous serving of our Dijonnaise or Sweet Chili Sauce by your side. —Sandra Ramacher
- Makes 8
macadamia nuts-roughly chopped
cloves garlic – minced
shallots – chopped
small handful coriander – chopped
salt and pepper
- Place macadamia nuts and cashews into a food processor and process until roughly chopped.
- Combine with the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly by hand.
- Moisten hands and form the mixture into eight balls
- Coat a large skillet with oil and press chicken burgers into patties.
- Fry them for 4 minutes on each side with the lid on the frying pan or until they are cooked through.
- Serve hot or cold with our Dijonnaise or Sweet Chilli Sauce.