If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made this recipe for a group blog post initially. But it's become a classic at home. I love the chesnut flavor behing Red Kuri squash. The glazed baby carrots bring a sweet taste to this pie which is vegan, gluten free and dairy free. The recipe is a bit long but very easy to bake. —Levannier Sarah
- 50 grams corn starch
- 50 grams buckwheat flour
- 100 grams oat flour
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- Pinch salt
- 1 small red kuri squash
- 1 onion
- 1 shallot
- 5 leaves sage
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Short and thin carrots with tops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sae salt
- 1 handful chopped nuts
- Prepare the red kuri squash puree: Halve the squash and core it. Cut it in pieces. Peal and chop onion and shallot. Transfer squash pieces, onion and shallot in saucepan. Cover with water and add salt and sage. Cover and cook in boiling water until squash is tender. Transfer squash, onion and shallot in a mixing bowl. Add 2 to 3 ladles of cooking water and mix using a hand blender. You can also use a stand blender if more convenient. Be careful that puree is not too liquid.
- Prepare the glazed carrots: Cut tops (keep about half an inch on the carrots). If you use organic carrots, you don’t have to peel them. Just rub them under cold water with vegetable brush. Transfer in frying pan or sauteuse. Cover with water. Add salt, sugar and olive oil. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and let glaze. When carrots are tender, uncover and let juice evaporate until a syrup remains.
- Prepare the crust: Preheat oven at 350 °F (180°C). Combine corn starch, buckwheat flour, oat flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Add oils and water and mix with your fingers until you get a smooth and homogeneous dough. It mustn’t be sticky or too crumbly. If it’s sticky, add more oat flour and if it’s crumbly, add more water. Spread crust evenly on a sheet of parchment paper and transfer it to a rectangular baking tin. Prick pastry shell all over with fork. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crust turns almost white.
- Assemble the pie: Preheat oven at 430°F (220°C). Fill pie with red kuri squash puree. Cover with glazed carrots (be careful, they are very fragile once cooked!) and bake for 15 minutes in the middle of the oven or until crust is golden. This pie is wonderful because you can serve it hot or cold. It tastes really good whatever you do. Top it with chopped nuts before serving it.