Makes: 1 pint
Fat and excess skin from one chicken (cut it out from the opening of the cavity and also remove it from the bottom of the carcass after you break the chicken into pieces)
small, tart apple, unpeeled and roughly chopped
small yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
In This Recipe
- Place the fat and skin in a medium saucepan and render over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the skin is golden and crispy.
- Add chopped apple, onion, and thyme and continue to cook over medium heat until onions are caramelized and deeply golden and apples are very soft and falling apart.
- Remove the thyme stem (its leaves should have fallen off).
- Remove from heat and blitz this mixture with a hand blender until it’s a thick, uniform paste.
- Allow this mixture to cool completely in the refrigerator. Transfer it to a stand mixer and whip it with the whisk attachment until it's light and fluffy like whipped butter.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then spread it on everything.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!