If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I just love roasted cauliflower this time of year. The grapes add a touch of sweetness to the savory. It's a healthy yet hearty salad that works well as the main event. —Danielle at Sweet Home Sauce
For the salad
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 bunch red grapes
- 1 cup farro
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 handful Hazelnuts
- On a baking sheet, tear grapes from the stem, and scatter on parchment paper to bake. I roasted approximately 20 grapes.
- Tear the green leaves from the cauliflower and cut most of the stem off, but leave some so that it doesn’t crumble when you slice. Starting at the top of the flower, slice down to create disc-like pieces of cauliflower, about ½ inch thick.
- On a baking sheet, rub both sides of the cauliflower with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Roast grapes and cauliflower at 375-400 degrees for approximately 30-40 minutes, turning the cauliflower once to caramelize each side. The grapes should be slightly caramelized too, and will shrivel up a bit when out of the oven. Grapes contain a lot of sugar, so they can burn easily. If they get too charred for your liking, just soak them in some warm water for a few minutes. They will retain their sweet flavor.
- While the cauliflower/grapes are roasting, cook farro in vegetable broth and toast hazelnuts in a small pan. The nuts will be toasted after a minute or two– careful not to burn.
- Once the nuts are cooled, place a clean rag over and hit them with a heavy spoon to crack.
- Take four large sage leaves and fry them in oil. This takes a few minutes, and the leaves should be crisp (not soft) when you remove.
- Pile warm cauliflower, farro and grapes onto plates.
- Sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts and crumbled cotija cheese.
- Pour dressing liberally over salad and top each plate with a crisp sage leaf or two.
For the vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons unfiltered apple cider
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a small jar and shake.