Author Notes: Food writer and Cherry Bombe radio host, Julia Turschen shares a delicious salad topped pizza. —julia sherman
pound pizza dough
cup tomato sauce, whichever is your favorite
pound fresh mozzarella cheese, torn
large handfuls of arugula
tablespoons olive oil
leaves from 1 sprig basil, torn
ripe tomato, sliced into wedges
In This Recipe
- There is no shame in buying pizza dough from your local pizza parlor if you don't feel like making it yourself. Just get the very best tomatoes to compensate.
- Preheat the oven to 550°F and set a pizza stone in the middle rack of your oven and let it heat up for at least 20 minutes.
- Generously sprinkle a pizza peel or the underside of a sheet pan with semolina flour. Press and stretch the dough into a thin circle about 16-inches wide on the peel and shake the peel lightly to make sure the dough doesn’t stick (adding more semolina if necessary). Evenly spread the tomato sauce over the pizza and scatter the cheese on top.
- Slide the dough onto the hot stone and bake until the crust is golden and crisp, the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the arugula, basil, olive oil and lemon juice together and season the greens with salt.
- Slice the pizza into wedges, put the arugula salad right on top of it and top the arugula with the tomatoes. Serve immediately!