If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Food writer and Cherry Bombe radio host, Julia Turschen shares a delicious salad topped pizza. To see the full post on my blog, see here: http://www.saladforpresident.com/salads/julia-turshens-hot-bread-pizza-salad/ —julia sherman
- 1/2 pound pizza dough
- 1 cup tomato sauce, whatever is your favorite
- 1/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, torn
- 4 large handfuls of arugula
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- leaves from 1 sprig basil, torn
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced into wedges
- There is no shame in buying pizza dough from your local pizza parlor if you don’t feel like making it yourself. Just get the very best tomatoes to compensate.
- Preheat the oven to 550°F and set a pizza stone in the middle rack of your oven and let it heat up for at least 20 minutes.
- Generously sprinkle a pizza peel or the underside of a sheet pan with semolina flour. Press and stretch the dough into a thin circle about 16-inches wide on the peel and shake the peel lightly to make sure the dough doesn’t stick (adding more semolina if necessary). Evenly spread the tomato sauce over the pizza and scatter the cheese on top.
- Slide the dough onto the hot stone and bake until the crust is golden and crisp, the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the arugula, basil, olive oil and lemon juice together and season the greens with salt.
- Slice the pizza into wedges, put the arugula salad right on top of it and top the arugula with the tomatoes. Serve immediately!