Author Notes: I'm gradually getting more comfortable in the kitchen (I can thank the osmosis of the Food52 office for that), and am finding that when I have "down time" I think of something to make. This time, I thought, "hey, I have stale bread, why not make croutons?" And so I did. —Jackie Stauffer
stale bread (any kind you like, including gluten free)
seasoning (I like the Oaktown Spice Shop "Better than Everything Bagel" Spice, but you can use whatever you like)
salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cube the stale bread and cut off some, but not all of the crust. Toss the cubes in a bowl or directly on a a baking sheet in 1 layer. (I found it easier to season in a bowl)
- Drizzle olive oil, and sprinkle seasoning on the cubes.
- If you opted for the bowl option, now's the time to put your cubes on the baking sheet in 1 layer.
- Bake to your desired doneness. I found 20 minutes to be good, for a nicely browned crouton, with denser gluten free seed bread.
- Let cool and enjoy! Top a salad, or just munch on them for a snack.