If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These savory shortbreads are made from duck fat rendered with sage, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, and garlic. The rich, buttery texture, along with the sharpness from both ground black and white peppers and the chili flakes, make these cookies a great component on a perfect cheese platter. —Mandy @ Lady and pups
Makes 25 to 30 shortbread crackers
For the duck fat rendered with herbs:
- 1/2 pound (250 grams) duck skins/fats, cut into small pieces
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 2 fresh bay leaves or 4 dried bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
For the peppery duck fat shortbread:
- 7 tablespoons (95 grams) herbed duck fat
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups (270 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- TO RENDER THE HERBED DUCK FAT (You can also use duck fat left from making duck confit, and omit this step): Combine duck skins/fats, sage, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, and garlic in a pot, and set it over medium-high heat. Once the mixture has come to a sizzle, lower the heat down to medium-low. Stir occasionally and cook until all the oil from the skins/fats is rendered out (the skins/fats will become browned cracklings). Strain and chill the duck fat in the fridge until solidified.
- TO MAKE THE PEPPERY DUCK FAT SHORTBREAD DOUGH: In a food processor, add herbed duck fat, unsalted butter, sea salt, ground white pepper, and ground black pepper. Run until the mixture is creamy and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes. Then add the all-purpose flour, Parmesan, and chili flakes, and pulse/run until a cohesive dough has come together.
- Transfer the dough onto a piece of parchment paper. Dust it lightly with flour, then roll it into a thick log. Wrap tightly and freeze until firm.
- TO BAKE THE SHORTBREAD: Preheat the oven on 325° F (165° C). Unwrap the shortbread dough, then cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices, and transfer it onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (sprinkle with extra chili flakes if you'd like). Bake for 20 to 25 min until slightly browned, then let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!