- Serves 4-6
You can make this with any ground meat, seafood, or leftover meat, or just veggies. I like it best with ground turkey, but I've been dying to try it with minced shrimp. It's a great way to use leftover meat, veggies and brown rice. You can make the filling and combine it with the sauce ahead of time. —Pamela
ground chicken, beef, or turkey, or leftover meat/seafood of any kind
medium carrot, minced or grated
medium onion, finely chopped
small red bell pepper, chopped
head romaine lettuce, separated, washed, and dried
green onions, sliced at an angle, for garnish
• Chopped unsalted peanuts or cashews, for garnish (optional)
leftover brown (or white) rice
chicken or vegetable broth, or water
finely minced fresh garlic
fresh minced or grated ginger root
Toasted Sesame oil
Chinese Five Spice
- Preparation: Put the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, stir or whisk to combine set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan or wok on medium-high heat. Cook the meat until juices start to be released, breaking it up as you cook.
- Add the carrot, broccoli, bell pepper and other vegetables. Continue stirring and breaking up the meat until it is thoroughly cooked.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low, give the sauce a stir or a whisk, and add it to the pan. Add the rice and toss until all is well-coated and heated through.
- Serve the meat/rice mixture and lettuce leaves separately on a plate, put the meat in the leaves with a spoon, then sprinkle with nuts and/or green onions and eat it rolled up in the lettuce leaves like a taco.