If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by my Danish heritage, this breakfast bowl combines steel cut oats, pumpkin seed oil, birch syrup, and a crunchy topping of walnuts, seeds, and coconut. Served with buttermilk, this a true scandi breakfast. —Allison Day
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or chips
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 6 to 8 dried figs, sliced
- Birch syrup
- Pumpkin seed oil
- Buttermilk, well-shaken
- Make the oats: In a large pot, bring oats, salt, and 4 cups water to a boil, reduce to medium, and cook, uncovered, for 25 minutes, stirring once or twice. Lower temperature nearing end of cooking time to avoid splatters, if necessary.
- Make the Booster Topping: In a large skillet, add walnuts, coconut, and pumpkin seeds. Toast over medium for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant and beginning to brown (watch carefully to avoid burning coconut). Transfer to a bowl and cool before storing in an airtight container or jar in the pantry or refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- To serve: Divide cooked oats evenly between 4 bowls. Top with Booster Topping, dried figs, and a drizzle of birch syrup and pumpkin seed oil. Serve with buttermilk.