If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you fear seaweed, this is a good place to start. It's definitely oceanic, but mixed with enough other stuff and dressed so familiarly that I think you’ll be more than on board. —Kendra Vaculin
For the salad:
- 1/2 ounce dried wakame seaweed, cut or uncut (available in most health/specialty food stores and for sure your local Japanese market)
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- 1 cup kale sliced into ribbons
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
For the dressing:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh, minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Cover seaweed with warm water and allow to soak until soft, about 5 minutes. If uncut, slice into thin strips. Lay on paper towel to drain, and squeeze or pat out excess water.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Toss together with seaweed, cucumber and sliced kale, sprinkling with sesame seeds.
- While great on its own, this salad also acts for a great base with a myriad of additions, like tofu cubes, green apples, and shredded carrots.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!