If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A lighter version of a decadent tasting rice pudding bursting with lychees and perfumed with rose water. An easy anytime dessert that can be made in the oven, which translates into no stirring over the stove top leaving you free to sip that glass of vino while your dessert cooks. A perfect sweet treat that can be made a day in advance for those dinner parties. —namrata
cup any medium grained rice .Ex: Arboria/ Valencia
cup lychees from a can or fresh
cups almond milk ( or regular 2% milk )
vanilla pod, seeds scraped for use
teaspoon rose water
tablespoon crushed almonds
tablespoon rose petals (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 300 F Meanwhile: Wash the rice 3 times, rinsing each time, under cold water. Soak the rice in approximately 1/2 cup of water for 15 mts. Set aside.
- Grind the rice along with it's liquid into a coarse paste. Set aside. Grind the lychees with their juices just enough till little chunks of the fruit are still visible. 3 to 4 quick bursts in the blender should do it. Let the fruit sit covered in a bowl in the fridge until ready to use.
- Pour the coarse rice paste, the milk, honey and vanilla seeds into an oven proof 8' x 8' dish. Stir until the ingredients are well combined.
- Place in the oven and let cook for 1.5 hrs giving the mixture a quick stir every 30 mts.
- Remove from oven. Alternatively, if you like the pudding thicker, let it cook for an additional 15 mts. Let cool completely.
- Fold in the cold pureed lychees and the rose water into the cooled rice pudding.
- Serve in individual bowls if desired. Garnish with the crushed almonds and rose petals.