Author Notes: A great way to get your kids to eat beets--these sweet & crispy morsels will trick them every time. I like to scrub the beets very well but leave the peel on; you retain many more nutrients that way. —RellaBellaK
large beets, scrubbed
tablespoon vegetable oil
tablespoons dark brown sugar
teaspoon lemon zest
- Heat a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease 2 baking sheets.
- Blanch beets: Slice beets very thinly with a mandoline (about 1/8-inch thick). add to boiling water and cook 1 minute, then remove and place in bowl of ice water until cool. Dry beet slices, place in a large ziploc bag and add oil, tossing to coat.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest, salt and pepper and add to bag, shaking to coat well. Lay chips in a single layer on baking sheets.
- Bake beets at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until crispy (may take longer or shorter depending on how thinly you sliced the beets). Serve immediately, or cool and store in an airtight container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets