If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This carrot-ginger soup is so creamy and full of flavor. It's healthy and satisfying, thanks to the potato in the soup and roasted potato garnish. The perfect meal for a dreary winter day.
Adapted from Chef Jay Weinstein, Instructor at Natural Gourmet Institute. Picture instructions can be found at: http://cassieskitchennyc.com/2014/11/11/creamy-carrot-soup-with-potato/
Note: This recipe calls for ginger juice, which is added to the soup after its pureed to maintain the smooth consistency of the soup. To make ginger juice, finely grate or mince a 2 inch piece of ginger. Wrap the minced ginger in a cheese cloth or clean dishtowel, and squeeze into a small bowl until you have about 1 1/2 teaspoons juice. —Cassie Bowman
Creamy Carrot-Ginger Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into medium dice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 medium potato, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger juice
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions and salt, and cook until onions are softened and translucent, (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add the carrots, cover pot and cook over low heat for 5-6 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent browning.
- Add water and potatoes to pot, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes, covered, until carrots are very tender.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, and add to a blender. Blend until soup is smooth and creamy, adding additional water if necessary to desired consistency. (This can also be done with an immersion blender or in a food processor if you don’t have a blender).
- Add lemon and ginger juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with potato garnish (see recipe below).
Roasted Potato Garnish
- 1 cup potato, cut into small dice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Transfer mixture to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast potatoes in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until brown and crispy, stirring occasionally for even cookie.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0