If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I grew up with jarred red cabbage, but this recipe for a home made version is so much better, and foolproof - as easy as opening a jar, really. —Sabine
- 750 grams red cabbage (1/4 head), shredded or sliced very finely
- 1 tablespoon lard
- 3 tablespoons apple vinegar (or any mild white vinegar)
- 1/2 apple, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1-2 tablespoons red currant jelly (more to taste)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 100 milliliters water approx.
- In a medium sized pot (I use a cast iron saucepan), add all ingredients, stir well and bring to boil.
- Cook at medium heat until tender, but slightly al dente, about 1 hour. Give everything a good stir every 5-10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary, using either more jelly (or a little brown sugar), salt or vinegar.
- Tastes even better warmed the next day.