If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the classic Shepherd's Pie with its creamy cheese and potato topping, and saucy bean and vegetable base. This recipe was written by the Healthline Editorial Team:
- 1/4 pound low fat cheese
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 14.5 oz can red kidney beans
- 1/4 pound green beans, chopped into 3 cm pieces
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato puree
- salt to taste
- 1 cup mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Wash, peel and roughly chop the potatoes and boil on high heat until soft. Drain the excess water and place the pan back on the cooker, but on a low heat. Add the butter and milk followed by a little salt and pepper to taste and mash the potatoes to a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- In a pan heat the oil, add the chopped onions and cook until soft or translucent. Add in the minced garlic, green beans, and kidney beans. Allow the vegetables to cook for 4 minutes on medium heat. Now throw in the mushrooms and peppers and allow to cook for a further 4 minutes. Finally add in the tomato puree, black pepper and salt to taste. Cover the pan and allow the base to cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into an 8 inch oven proof dish followed by the mashed potato. Spread the mash evenly to seal the base. Top the pie with cheese and place it in the pre heated oven for 40 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown
- Best served hot, with salad and gravy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0