If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Using the grains I had lingering in my pantry, this Winter Curry Breakfast Salad is a combination of rice and millet, kale, roasted vegetables and pomegranate seeds dressed in a citrus curry dressing. The dressing, well let's just say it might become your new every day vinaigrette. Topped with a poached egg, it's everything a winter breakfast should be. Nourishing and colorful, hearty yet fresh, and a celebration of in-season eating. —Amanda Paa | Heartbeet Kitchen
Winter Curry Grain Salad Ingredients
- 2 pounds butternut squash (medium sized)
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cooked millet
- 1 cup dry, long grain white rice
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale, leaves removed and cut into very thin strips
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 poached egg, per person*
Citrus Curry Dressing
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons sweet curry powder
- 1/4 cup hazelnut or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss the squash with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt, then spread onto a large baking sheet. Toss the red onion with remaining olive oil and salt, then spread onto another baking sheet
- Place both in oven, and check on onions after about 8 minutes. Take them out when they are browned and have shrunk. Stir the squash at this time and roasting squash for another 25 minutes, until it can easily be pierced with a fork, but not mushy.
- While vegetables are roasting, add the rice to a medium saucepan and cover with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. And cook for about 35 minutes, or until rice is tender, but not mushy. Taste to be sure.
- Drain rice and return to empty pot. Set on stove and cover, letting steam for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and keep warm.
- Add roasted vegetables, kale and cooked millet to a large bowl. Pour hot rice over the top of it and mix all together. Cover with a cloth so that the warmth stays inside and the kale will wilt slightly from the heat.
- After 5 minutes, stir again and add dressing along with 1/2 of the pomegranate seeds, stirring to combine. Pour onto a platter or nice salad bowl for serving and top with remaining pomegranate seeds.
- Can be made one day ahead of time, will last for 4 days in refrigerator.
- *Add a small dash of vinegar to a pan of steadily simmering water. Crack eggs individually into a ramekin or cup. Create a gentle vortex in the water by stirring a spoon in the middle of it. Slowly tip the egg into the water, white first. Leave to cook for three minutes for a runny egg, 5 minutes for a more solid yolk. Remove with a slotted spoon, cutting off any wispy edges using the edge of the spoon. Remove with slotted spoon and drain onto paper towel.