Author Notes: Mashed potatoes out of a box were hands down my favorite food as a child. My mom and dad will vouch for that. I'm pretty sure it's the first thing I learned to make. And by make, I mean microwave.
So that leads me to this recipe. Mashed potatoes are a favorite of mine. Instead of using potatoes though, I subbed in cauliflower. And instead of all the cream and butter, I have used mostly non-fat Greek yogurt. I'm so addicted. —Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes: 4-6 servings
head cauliflower (leaves removed, rough chop)
tablespoon tbsp dried, roasted garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
tablespoon dried shallots or 1 tsp onion powder
cups low sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper
1/2 - 3/4
cups non-fat Greek yogurt
tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add chicken broth and a few cups of water to a pot. Bring to a slow boil. Add salt, dried garlic/garlic powder, dried shallots/onion powder, a big pinch of salt and pepper. Add cauliflower, cover and let boil for 5-7 minutes. Cauliflower should be fork tender.
- Drain cauliflower in a fine mesh sieve, or something that will catch all the little pieces. Return to pot with no heat on.
- Mix in Greek yogurt, butter, salt and pepper to taste. Puree with an immersion blender until there are no big chunks of cauliflower left. Transfer to a small baking dish.
- Pop into the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and serve with something with lots of sauce!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Family's Best Thanksgiving Recipe