Author Notes: Usually is made with dry beans and requires much more time.
Last year I bought half a bushel of romano beans, so I had some in the freezer.
Fresh Romano beans ( or Fresh cranberry beans ) may be found at farmers markets in late summer
After shelling and cleaning they do n’t require presoaking and they cook in under an hour.
In winter substitute with 2 cans ( 19 oz ) of romano beans, drained and rinsed ( optional ).
cups romano beans (cranberry beans)
shallot, finely chopped
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoons tomato paste
teaspoon salt or to taste
teaspoon freshly ground pepper
cups stock or water
Wide homemade noodles cut short ( or 2 cups short pasta like elbow macaroni)
Smoked sausage (one per person)
- In large saucepan place beans, water and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook, uncovered, about 40 minutes or until tender.
- Turn off heat and let beans cool in liquid.
- Drain and use in soup or salads.
- For soup, heat oil in a big pot over medium heat.
- Add flour and cook 3-4 minutes, until it changes colour.
- Stir in shallot, garlic, tomato paste and paprika, and cook about 1 minute.
- Add stock and cooked beans and simmer another 20 minutes to blend flavours.
- If you do not want to use flour, just omit the flour and pure 1/3 of a soup.
- Make soup up to a couple days ahead and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, reheat soup and cook noodles for Fažol i testo or sausages in it (or if you prefer both).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans