If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I developed this recipe on a snowy day. The whole house smelled great. My granddad would say that this is a soup that "sticks to your ribs." —Cindyatbeach
Makes 8 cups
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut lengthwise and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 cups vegetable stock (homemade is best)
- 2 cups cooked Great Northern or pea beans
- 2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- Pour vegetable oil into large pot and heat up. Add onion, carrots and celery and saute for 10 minutes or until soft. Add tomatoes, thyme, oregano and parsley and cook for 5 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil.(Add water, 1/2 cup at a time, if necessary.) Add beans and simmer for 20 minutes. Add cabbage and simmer another 25 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree about 1/3 of the finished soup in a blender, one cup at a time, and add back to the pot of soup. This will thicken it and make the soup heartier.