If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sausages in red wine and onion gravy over mashed potatoes. The ultimate comfort food, British style. —All that's Jas
- 4 pieces Cumberland or other good quality pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 piece garlic clove
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 chicken or beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried rosemary
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Put peeled and diced potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan brown the sausages in oil on all sides over medium-high heat. Remove sausages to a plate and keep warm. Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft.
- Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Stir in flour, cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken bouillon, wine, basil, parsley and rosemary. Cook until wine has reduced to a glaze over the onions, about 10 minutes. Return the sausages to the pan and simmer for about 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with milk, butter and mustard. Transfer the bangers and mash to a serving dish and dig in!!! I mixed a cup of red wine with one cup of Coca Cola to make my favorite drink Bambus, as we call it in Bosnia. Yum! Try it - even the non wine lovers will like it.