If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Crispy, flaky, and fluffy all at the same time, m'smmen is Morocco's favorite pastry. Traditionally a breakfast staple, you can also enjoy this as an afternoon snack. Serve warm with a side of argan oil and honey paired with hot Moroccan mint tea. Such a delectable and worldly treat! —Dip&Scoop
Food52 Review: WHO: Dip&Scoop lives in New York City where he is a purveyor of argan oil.
WHAT: A flaky, addictive Moroccan pancake that's perfect for dipping into honey.
HOW: Make a dough out of semolina flour, plain flour, and salt. Divide and flatten the dough into pancakes then cook each one on a griddle. Once golden brown, remove them from the heat and dip them to your heart's content.
WHY WE LOVE IT: These Moroccan pancakes were consumed by the Food52 staff as soon as they left the test kitchen. It's too bad they disappeared so quickly -- they make great leftovers when reheated in a toaster. If you don't have argan oil on hand, these are just as irresistible paired with butter and honey. —The Editors
Makes: 8 pancakes
Prep time: 1 hrs
Cook time: 5 min
cups semolina flour, divided
cups all-purpose flour
cups warm water
cup melted butter
cup vegetable oil
tablespoons argan oil, for dipping
tablespoons honey, for dipping
- In a large bowl, mix together 2/3 cup semolina, all-purpose flour, and salt. Stir in the warm water, then knead the mixture to obtain a smooth dough. Roll it into a ball and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and coat each ball with vegetable oil. Let the dough rest for another 15 minutes.
- On an oiled surface, use your hands to flatten out each ball of dough in a thin layer. Brush with melted butter and vegetable oil and sprinkle with the remaining semolina.
- Take one of the balls of dough, and fold one side of the dough 2/3 in across the dough. Then, fold the other side over the overlapping dough. This should make a long strip of 3 layers of thin dough. Fold the two ends of the dough 1/3 of the way in so that they meet in the middle. You should now have a rectangle of dough. Fold it one last time across the middle to make a perfect square approximately 4 inches wide. Repeat with each ball of dough.
- Place a griddle over medium heat, and while it warms up, use your hand to gently flatten the squares into larger, thinner squares, about 6 inches wide.
- Immediately place the flattened dough onto the pan or griddle and cook on each side until golden brown.
- Serve hot off the griddle. Roll the m'smmen, dip it into argan oil, then dip it into honey and enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey