If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Moist and fluffy chocolate cupcakes with a hint of berry flavor and a light and fluffy frosting to match. —Tori Cooper
Makes 18 - 24 cupcakes
Blueberry Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup bluberry reduction (recipe follows)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup oil (such as sunflower)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
Frosting + Brueberry Reduction
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons blueberry reduction (recipe follows)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup water
- For the blueberry reduction, combine blueberries and water in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan and cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened, about 30 minutes. You want it to be thick but still syrupy, somewhere between juice and jelly. Cool for at least 15 minutes before using in cupcake batter and completely before in frosting. Extra reduction can be used to drizzle on cupcakes or poured over things such as pancakes and waffles.
- For the frosting, in bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, cream butter with 1 cup powdered sugar. Add blueberry, vanilla, cocoa, and salt and mix until smooth. Add remaining powdered sugar a little at a time until fully incorporated. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute until light and fluffy.