A nice focaccia like snacking or breakfast bread with a punch of black pepper.
A nice focaccia like snacking or breakfast bread with a punch of black pepper.—inpatskitchen
Makes: one 9- by 13-inch loaf
strips of bacon
large onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
cup warm water (100 - 115F)
teaspoons active dry yeast
egg, lightly beaten
tablespoons olive oil
1 to 2
teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper (use 2 if you really like pepper!)
cups bread flour
In This Recipe
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove to paper toweling leaving the bacon drippings in the pan. Cool and crumble the bacon.
- Add the sliced onions to the skillet and sauté until lightly caramelized over medium heat. Stir in 1/4 cup of the honey and remove the pan from the heat to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the yeast into the warm water and let rest for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, whisk the egg, salt, olive oil, pepper and the 2 tablespoons honey in a smaller bowl. Stir in half of the crumbled bacon and then add this mixture to the yeast mixture.
- Stir in the flour and combine well. You'll have a very sticky wet dough that is almost like a batter. Let rest for about 20 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 400F. Place the dough in a well oiled 9x13 inch baking pan. Use clean wet hands to spread the dough into the corners of the pan.
- Spread the onion mixture over the top of the dough and then sprinkle with the remaining bacon. (I found that using clean wet hands accomplishes this best) Cover the pan and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cover from the pan and bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for about 15 minutes and then, using two spatulas, remove from the pan. Cut in small squares to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey