If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: How to turn 2 ingredients into perfect biscuits, in less time than it takes to drink your coffee. Extra genius points: The formula is so simple, you'll probably never need to look it up again.
Serve them with butter and jam. Or honey. Or dress them like a Mainer, as Hamel recommends: Split them and dribble with cream before topping with berries and whipped cream (Are you counting? That's 3 creams!). Or embed a sugar cube doused in orange juice in each biscuit before baking, a Southern trick for a sweet, melty core that Hamel also likes. Or add herbs or bacon or cheese. Adapted slightly from PJ Hamel of King Arthur Flour. —Genius Recipes
Makes: 12 biscuits
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 10 min
ounces /170 grams (1 1/2 cups) self-rising flour
teaspoon salt (optional; for a saltier biscuit, add up to to 1/4 teaspoon)
ounces /170 grams (3/4 cup) heavy or whipping cream
- Heat the oven to 450° F, with a rack in the top third of the oven.
- Mix the flour and salt together (if using), then add the cream until smooth and batter-like. If it's not coming together, you can use your hands to lightly knead and press it together in the bowl.
- Scoop 1-ounce balls of dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving a couple of inches between them. A tablespoon cookie scoop works well here. Alternately, pat the dough 3/4 inch thick and cut biscuits with a cutter, if desired. (At this point the biscuits can be frozen and baked straight from the freezer.)
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with cream, milk, or water.
- Bake the biscuits 10 minutes or so, or until they are light golden brown on top and baked all the way through. Break one open to make sure they're done!
- Serve warm or at room temperature; to store, wrap well in plastic wrap and leave at room temperature. To keep them longer, store in the freezer.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!