If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had a dream about this breakfast. All the ingredients clearly put together. I've riffed on it several ways: different kinds of bread, different pesto, spinach instead of arugula. but always a fried egg with runny yolk on top. I've never seen a recipe like it, though I can't be the first person to ever create this dish I'm sure. It is very forgiving and all amounts of ingredients can be adjusted to suit your taste. I happen to love pesto and arugula, so my version is heavy on those ingredients. Originally, I made crostini out of the bread, but for the sake of easy preparation, I just toast the bread in the toaster now. I hope you enjoy!
Also: If you have an awesome name for this dish, please let me know. We've been calling it "special breakfast" for two years now because we can't think of a name!!! —Jessica
- 2 slices of crusty bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons pesto, divided
- 2 handfuls arugula, washed patted dry and divided
- 2 eggs
- Heat a skillet with a glug of olive oil, as it warms, pop the slices of crusty bread in the toaster
- over medium heat, begin to fry two eggs to your liking, adding salt and pepper to taste
- When the toast pops up, put it on the plate you'l be serving and slather each piece with half the pesto (or however much you prefer)
- grab a handful of arugula and without bruising it, gather it into a semi formed ball. place on top of the bread and pesto mixture.
- once the egg is cooked to your liking, remove from the pan and gently place on top of the bread, pesto and arugula mixture.
- Serve immediately as is or with a bit of hot sauce on the side. Be sure to let that runny egg yolk saturate the whole dish :)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer