Author Notes: I had a dream about this breakfast. All the ingredients clearly put together. I've riffed on it several ways: different kinds of bread, different pesto, spinach instead of arugula. but always a fried egg with runny yolk on top. I've never seen a recipe like it, though I can't be the first person to ever create this dish I'm sure. It is very forgiving and all amounts of ingredients can be adjusted to suit your taste. I happen to love pesto and arugula, so my version is heavy on those ingredients. Originally, I made crostini out of the bread, but for the sake of easy preparation, I just toast the bread in the toaster now. I hope you enjoy!
Also: If you have an awesome name for this dish, please let me know. We've been calling it "special breakfast" for two years now because we can't think of a name!!! —Jessica
slices of crusty bread, toasted
tablespoons pesto, divided
handfuls arugula, washed patted dry and divided
- Heat a skillet with a glug of olive oil, as it warms, pop the slices of crusty bread in the toaster
- over medium heat, begin to fry two eggs to your liking, adding salt and pepper to taste
- When the toast pops up, put it on the plate you'l be serving and slather each piece with half the pesto (or however much you prefer)
- grab a handful of arugula and without bruising it, gather it into a semi formed ball. place on top of the bread and pesto mixture.
- once the egg is cooked to your liking, remove from the pan and gently place on top of the bread, pesto and arugula mixture.
- Serve immediately as is or with a bit of hot sauce on the side. Be sure to let that runny egg yolk saturate the whole dish :)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer