If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've been trying to come up with a more creative name for this recipe because "Three Meat Tomato Sauce" sounds super boring. But alas, I could not come up with anything.
My mom made this sauce for us growing up all the time. I'm pretty sure I had this at least once a week. When we go back home these days, we are guaranteed a night with "sauce" and a salad. This sauce is magical. It can be made any variety of ways. The basis for it is incorporating all different meats and letting them slow cook in the tomato sauce. Typical ingredients are Italian sausage, meatballs, ground beef or pork, chunks of pork tenderloin, chunks of chicken. Whatever other cuts of meat you've got in the freezer or fridge. Meatballs and Italian sausage are pretty critical, the rest can be changed up. —Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes 1 big pot
for the meatballs
- 1/2 pound ground beef (85/15)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan (grated)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons dried shallots or 1 tsp onion powder
- a few pinches crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
for the rest of the sauce
- 3/4 pound hot Italian sausage (removed from casing)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (cubed)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 ounces can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounces can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Start by making the meatballs. Add all meatball ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix with hands until all ingredients are combined. Don't over mix, it will make the meatballs dense. Heat a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat with olive oil. Form meatballs and drop into the pot. Turn meatballs to cook on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat to a plate and set aside. Pro Tip: To make the meatballs extra delicious -- saute the onions and garlic in olive oil before putting them in the meatballs.
- Add the chicken breast cubes and add salt and pepper. Let brown on all sides for about 8 minutes total. Remove from heat to a plate and set aside.
- Add Italian sausage and let cook only for about 4 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon into small pieces. Lower heat to medium and add onions, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Let cook for about 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato paste and red wine. Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 5 minutes. Add all tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves, and a good amount of salt and pepper. Add chicken and meatballs back to the pot. Bring to a simmer. Lower heat and cover. Let simmer for 1 and a half hours.
- Serve with crusty bread or over pasta.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for When You Want It to Feel Like Fall