Author Notes: Nothing like the store-bought version, these macaroons are light, airy with lemon zest to brighten up the coconut flavor and when dipped in chocolate is the ultimate macaroon you have ever tried. You will not believe how easy and delicious these little treats are. Also lower in calories without the flour and perfect for Passover.
Recipe by: Jessica, From Jessica's Kitchen www.fromjessicaskitchen.com —Jessica
Makes: about 15
tablespoons fine sugar (caster)
cups shredded unsweetened coconut
teaspoons lemon zest
ounces dark chocolate (preferably higher than 62%), roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment on high speed, mix egg whites for about 3 minutes until very frothy.
- Slowly add the sugar along the edges of the mixer during the whisking process.
- After all the sugar has been added, continue to whisk for another 2 minutes (egg whites will look shiny and thick like marshmallow fluff), add the lemon zest.
- With a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula, gently fold in the lemon zest until just combined.
- Add shredded coconut, gently fold in.
- Prepare 2 parchment lined baking sheets.
- Using a spoon (an ice cream scooper will deflate the meringue), pick up about a tablespoon of the meringue and pack it lightly (kind of like a meatball) just so it holds a shape, then place macaroons about an 1 inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake until golden, 25-30 minutes.
- Let them cool for 10-15 minutes, or until cool to the touch before dipping.
- Melt chocolate.
- Dip the bottoms of the macaroons, then place on cooled parchment lined baking sheets (not directly a cooling rack, they will stick).
- Refrigerate for about an hour before serving. Serve chilled or just at room temperature. Note: if left in a warm area the chocolate may melt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer