If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sweet (corn) and salty (bacon) play supporting roles for the scallops with their touch of cream. Chowder on a plate! —LE BEC FIN
- 2 strips smoked bacon (not maple sweetened)
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallots ( or chopped leeks, soaked, drained and dried)
- 12 ounces 'dry' sea scallops*, quickly rinsed in cold water, drained , dried and halved
- 1/4-1/2 cup light cream
- 1/4 cup fresh raw or frozen corn kernels
- Kosher or Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sautee bacon until crispy,lift above pan,gently shaking and reserving bacon fat in pan. Chop bacon and reserve. Remove 1 teaspoon bacon fat and put in a heavy skillet; set aside. In the remaining bacon fat, saute shallots 2-3 minutes over medium high heat, until translucent and not browned. Add cream. Scrape bacon and its bits and juices into cream; add corn. Bring to boil; cook down a few minutes til corn is tender . Add S and P. Heat reserved skillet to high. Just before the fat smokes, sear scallops. After 1-2 minutes, scallop bottoms should have a brown crust; turn them over to sear 2nd side. Cook just til opaque in center. Turn heat to low, add contents of other pan and simmer together a few minutes, til hot. Season and serve in shallow bowls (as is or over cooked, drained, salted pasta or over cubed,steamed and salted potatoes.)
- *For shellfish allergies, scallops can be replaced by 1 1/2" cubes of skinned salmon filet
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer