If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Also known as focaccia con il formaggio. Focaccia di Recco, as the name implies is from Recco in Liguria, where there is a festival dedicated to focaccia in the month of May. It is a well-loved type of bread in Liguria. —woo wei-duan
grams plain flour
milliliters extra virgin olive oil
grams stracchino or crescenza cheese
teaspoon flaked salt
- In a standing mixer using the dough hook attachment or by hand, add the flour, 50 mls of olive oil and 150 mls of water to the bowl.
- In the mixer, mix for 10 minutes on medium-low speed. If mixing by hand, knead the dough for 20 minutes. It should be a soft, sticky dough.
- Try spreading the dough between your fingers to pull it as thin as possible so that light is visible from the other side. If the dough can form a “window” without breaking, it is ready.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and let it rest for an hour.
- Heat the oven to 250C.
- Oil a round or rectangular metal pan with 15 mls of olive oil.
- Flour your hands and break the dough in half. Stretch the dough as thinly as possible to fit over the pan.
- Using two spoons, break off thumb sized pieces of stracchino and dot the dough with it, ensuring even coverage.
- Pull the second piece of dough as thinly as possible and cover the whole pan.
- Brush the top of the dough with the remaining 20 mls of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Use the palms of your hands to flatten the cheese. Use two knives to tear air holes in the top of the dough every 2 cm or so. This will allow the steam to escape when the cheese cooks. Press the edges of the dough (do not crimp or roll) to seal and use a paring knife to cut off any excess dough and discard.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Check the bread after about 15 minutes to ensure that there are no air pockets. If air pockets do occur, use a paring knife to poke holes in it.
- Serve immediately.