If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My favorite type of soup, Pho, is comprised of fragrant broth, noodles, and fresh green veggies as well as the traditional toppings of Thai basil, bean sprouts, sliced jalapeno and lime. This is a slightly spicy soup (if you use the sriracha and jalapenos), perfect for a chilly night spent at home. —Jenny Goycochea
- 12 cups Water
- 2 Carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 White Onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch Green Onions, white parts only--reserve the green for second half of recipe
- 4 dried Shiitake Mushrooms (optional)
- 1 inch Ginger root, cut into slices
- 5 Garlic Cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 bunch Cilantro stems, reserve leaves for second part of recipe
- 1 tablespoon Black Peppercorns, whole
- 3 Star Anise
- Add all ingredients to a large pot and simmer on low for 2-3 hours (you may need to add a bit more water as it evaporates). Strain the broth into a large container and discard the ingredients from the broth.
- Pho Broth, boiling hot
- 12 ounces Fresh Pho Rice Noodles, soaked in hot water until pliable
- 1 White Onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Green Onions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Cilantro leaves (reserved from the stems), chopped
- 2 King Oyster Mushrooms, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 cups Broccoli florets, bite sized
- 2 Baby Bok Choy, leaves removed from stem
- Vegetarian Hoisin sauce, for serving (vegetarian is optional depending on your dietary restrictions)
- Sriracha, for serving
- 1 Jalapeno, sliced for serving
- Lime Wedges, for serving
- Bean Sprouts, for serving
- 1 bunch Thai Basil leaves, torn into pieces, for serving
- In a large bowl, layer your ingredients. Start with some sliced white onion, green onion, chopped cilantro and desired amount of noodles. Pour boiling broth over the top (leave some room for other ingredients). Let sit for 2-3 minutes as the broth slightly cooks the onions. Add some sliced mushroom, broccoli and bok choy leaves to the bowl and let sit for another couple of minutes. Season your broth using the hoisin, sriracha, jalapeno, lime and thai basil pieces to your liking. Top with bean sprouts and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff