If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This main plate salad is a departure from the ordinary with prosciutto, sweet dates, nuts and a harissa vinaigrette. Easy to make, too. —garlic and zest
for the salad:
- 2 cups kale, tough stems removed
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 english cucumber
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 dried dates
- 3 slices proscuitto
- 1/4 cup salted cashews
for the harissa vinaigrette:
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon harissa
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- grind or two of black pepper
- In a small saucepan, cover an egg with cool water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for one minute. Remove the pan from heat and let the egg steep in the water for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place kale on a cutting board and massage it for about 10-15 seconds until it softens and becomes fragrant. Roughly chop the kale and transfer it to a salad bowl. Add the romaine lettuce.
- Peel the carrot and use either a julienne scraper or a box grater to julienne/grate the carrot. Add to the lettuce.
- Slice dates in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, then dice the dates into small pieces and add to the salad.
- Either slice or tear the prosciutto into pieces and sprinkle over the salad. (Prosciutto tends to stick to itself, so it's better to separate the pieces in the salad to avoid getting one big ball of it on your plate.)
- Cut the english cucumber in half, lengthwise and then cut into 1/4" half moon slices and transfer to the salad bowl.
- Drain the water from the pan, run the egg under cool water. Gently crack the shell and peel the shell from the egg. Slice the egg in half and set aside.
- Roughly chop cashews and sprinkle over the salad.
- In a small bowl combine the lemon zest and juice, olive oil, honey, harissa, salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined. Taste for seasonings -- if you like it sweeter, add honey. If you want more spice add harissa etc.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Place boiled egg on the salad to serve.