It was recently brought to my attention that the Wynn Resort in Las Vegas has created several chef-inspired vegetarian and vegan menus at their restaurants. I wanted to add to their repertoire, but rather than using those menus as my muse, I wanted to take on the steakhouse! So this dish is inspired by their steak tartare appetizer. It uses the same components of traditional tartare (mustard, capers, shallot and egg), but subs roasted Bull's Blood Beets for steak, and brightens up the flavors with chives and lemon zest. Don't be afraid of the fancy-looking presentation - I just cut the bottom off a plastic cup to create that ring! This is a hearty appetizer, which is a "Good Source" of fiber, vitamins A and C, phosphorus, potassium, iron, thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin. Omit the egg for a vegan appetizer. —Vegetarianized.com
- Serves 8
olive oil, divided
capers, rinsed, minced
garlic clove, whole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Individually wrap each beet in foil. Drizzle each beet with 1 tsp EVOO and 1/4 tsp salt. Close tightly and roast on a sheet pan for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in the foil.
- Meanwhile, add egg to a small pot and fill with water at least 2-3" over the egg. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and then immediately turn off the heat, cover and let sit 15 minutes.
- Drain the egg, and rinse under cold water. Crack the bottom of the egg where the air pocket is, peel, and then chop coarsely. Set aside.
- When the beets are cooled, remove from the foil. Peel off the skin and grate on a box grater. (P.S. this is a very messy job so I used a crappy, plastic cutting board).
- Combine 2 Tbsp EVOO, chives, shallot, mustard, capers and lemon zest. Add grated beets and mix thoroughly.
- While the flavors are marrying, drizzle remaining 1 Tbsp of EVOO over baguette slices. Toast, remove and while still warm, rub garlic over the top. The crusty edges will grate the garlic and impart a wonderful garlic flavor.
- For presentation, if you so desire, using a circle cookie cutter (or cut a plastic cup to a similar size!) carefully spoon beet tartare into the cutter, making sure its level. Remove the cutter, top with chopped egg and serve with garlic toasts.