If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I guess cooking Spanish food has really inspired me. This recipe is for three skewered tapas called pintxos (pronounced peen-chos), which means 'thorn' or 'spike'. Also spelled pinchos, but I think the 'x' makes it sexy! The first is cubed sweet potato and scallion tortilla with saffron aioli. Dos is pickled peppers, olives and sherry-marinated baby portabellas. Tres is figs stuffed with valdeon (Spanish blue cheese) and drizzled with rosemary-honey. If you sample each one of these little tapas, you'll have a snack or appetizer that's "Low In" carbs and "High In" Vitamin A. —Vegetarianized.com
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound potato or sweet potato, sliced thin
- 1 bunch scallion or 1/2 onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 5 saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 20 small pickled sweet peppers (such as peppadew)
- 20 green olives, whole, pitted, about 1 cup or 1/2 lb
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3" length of fresh rosemary
- 20 dried figs, about 7 oz, stemmed
- 2 ounces valdeon or other blue cheese, cut into 20 small pieces
- (Tortilla) In a small skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp EVOO. Add sweet potato and cook 5 minutes. Add scallions and 1/2 tsp salt and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add beaten eggs and spread out evenly with the veggies. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook another 6-8 minutes until the tortilla is set.
- Loosen from the pan, turn out onto a plate, and cut into 20 cubes.
- To make the saffron mayo, heat 1 Tbsp of water and add saffron threads. Let steep 10 minutes. Lightly whisk saffron liquid into a bowl with mayo and dijon mustard.
- To assemble, dollop mayo onto tortilla cubes and pierce with a toothpick. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- (Mushroom, Olive, Pepper) Heat remaining 1 Tbsp EVOO in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and toss until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 tsp salt and sherry. Cook another 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- To assemble, skewer one mushroom, one olive, and one small pepper onto a toothpick.
- (Fig and Blue Cheese) Heat honey in a microwave for 20 seconds. Add rosemary sprig and let sit at least 15 minutes.
- Cut fig in half almost all the way through. Stuff with a small bit of cheese. To assemble, close with a toothpick and drizzle with rosemary honey.