If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a variation of a Community Pick Recipe from mrslarkin. Just like her, I never get tired of it and it's a favorite with the family! I dice the apples instead of grating them and I also like to keep it vegetarian and use shaved ricotta salata on top instead of the bacon. Thank you mrslarkin! —urbancooknyc
For the salad
- 1 large Fuji apple
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds brussel sprouts
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted (or hazelnuts)
- 1/2 cup ricotta salata, shaved
For the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and fresh pepper
- For the vinaigrette, place the vinegar, apple cider, olive oil, honey, mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper into a jar. Close lid tightly and shake to emulsify. Set aside.
- Toast the pecans (or hazelnuts) in a pre-heated oven to 375°. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Slice the onion very thin with a mandoline and soak in a bowl of cold water. The soaking makes the raw onions milder, although it's not a necessary step.
- Trim Brussels sprouts. Snap off the dry and/or spotted outer leaves and cut off the hard stem. Slice Brussels sprouts using a food processor fitted with the slicing disk or a mandoline. Fluff and separate the slices with your fingers. Set aside.
- Core the apples and dice them. Keep them in a bowl of water and lemon juice if not mixing the salad right away, so they don't tun brown. When ready, toss them with Brussels sprouts, onions and dried cranberries (reserve some as garnish).
- Toss salad with half the vinaigrette. Mix well. Taste for salt and pepper, add more vinaigrette if desired. Top with left over cranberries, toasted pecans and shaved ricotta salata.
- *ALTERNATE DRESSING: 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup hazelnut oil, 1/4 cup sherry vinegar, 3 Tbsp light maple syrup, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp salt. Shake all ingredients in a jar.