If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I came up with this salad concoction as I was looking to use up my leftover Tahini. I read an article about different uses for Tahini and wanted to use it as a salad dressing.
To the ingredients of hummus ( chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice) I added orange peppers and onions( my husband's favorite addition to all savory foods) . I have also added celery on occasion. I also like to use a variety of beans in addition to chick peas. My current favorite being green pigeon peas. —Kris
- 1 14oz can grabanzo beans
- 1 cup cooked green pigeon peas and/or urad dal ( optional)
- 1 large orange pepper
- 1 red onion
- 5-6 stalks of celery ( optional)
- 5-6 sprigs cilantro to garnish
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 lemon ( juiced)
- 2-3 dashes cayenne pepper ( optional)
- salt to taste
- Soak the pigeon peas and the urad dal overnight in salted water and boil or pressure cook the next day.
- Prep the vegetables. Thinly slice the onions. Chop the pepper and celery into small pieces ( 1 cm x1cm ) .
- Prepare the dressing. Mix the tahini with lemon juice and add the cayenne pepper and salt. Dilute the tahini further with water or lemon juice if required
- Mix the garbanzo beans, any other beans and vegetables . Toss with the dressing. Add a little more salt or cayenne pepper if required.
- I usually serve this salad cold. So it can be made ahead and kept in the fridge.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad