Author Notes: I can't eat dairy anymore but I love palak paneer. After a number of trial runs (good thing my boyfriend doesn't mind being a guinea pig :)), I managed to create a pretty good approximation with this vegan version. —RellaBellaK
- 1 tablespoon light olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 block tofu, pressed & drained
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 12 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted
- 4 tablespoons vegetable stock
- Heat oil in large saucepan and saute onions and garlic until soft, 6-8 minutes.
- Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to pan and brown, 4-5 minutes.
- Add spices & ginger, stirring to coat. Add spinach & stock, bring to a boil, then turn down flame to simmer 15-20 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe