If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This beautiful carrot salad has earthy flavors from the Moroccan spices and beluga lentils, but a brightness from the mint, parsley, and lemon. It is perfect for the warmer months either served alone or atop crostini with goat cheese —Emily
- 1/2 cup beluga lentils
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1 pound carrots, washed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses or honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, washed, dried, and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, washed, dried, and chopped
- Begin with the lentils. Place the lentils in a small pot and cover with water by 1-2 inches. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, cooking for 15-18 minutes uncovered or until lentils are tender but not mushy. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, toast the almonds. Place the almonds in a skillet over medium- low heat and toast for 8-10 minutes or until almonds are toasted, shaking pan often. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Shave the carrots into a bowl using a vegetable peeler. I find it easiest to shave from the top to the bottom first as you rotate the carrot and then flip the carrot upside down and continue the process. I found I was able to shave the most carrots this way.
- Make the vinaigrette. Combine the cumin, cinnamon, salt, lemon zest and juice, pomegranate molasses, and extra-virgin olive oil in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- In a bowl, combine the carrots, lentils, mint, parsley, and dressing, and toss to combine. Taste to adjust for salt. Toss in the almonds right before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad