Author Notes: This salad makes a great accompaniment to steak, kabobs, or burgers. This recipe was written by the Healthline Editorial Team: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/grilled-onion-salad —Healthline
medium red onions
tablespoons olive oil
tablespoons red wine vinegar
small garlic clove, minced
teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
salt and pepper
- Cut the onions lengthwise into 1-inch thick wedges, leaving the layers of each wedge attached at the root end. Gently toss the onion wedges with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, reserving the rest of the oil for the dressing.
- Arrange the onion wedges on a grill over medium heat and cover with an inverted foil pan. Grill until tender (about 15 – 20 minutes), turning occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- While the onions are cooking, prepare the dressing. Combine the vinegar, garlic, and oregano in a small bowl. Add the remaining olive oil in a slow steady stream, whisking continuously.
- Toss the onions with the dressing, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad