If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the best of spring in all dressed up in in a salad plate (or a bowl if you wish). Grapefruit, avocado, asparagus, radishes, pea sprouts and steelhead trout are united with Asian-inspired dressing of ginger, scallions, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. The final touch are some cracked wasabi peas. If you’ve never had them n your salad, you’re in for treat. Like nuts, they add a welcome crunch and they get extra points for their big, zippy heat. These crunchy bits of peas will give your salads some zing. This makes a great main course salad. —eva @myfrontburner
- 1/2 pound asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut on the bias into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled, segmented, excess juice reserved and segments cut in half.
- 2 cups pea sprouts cut into half
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil (divided)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3.4 pounds steelhead trout filet
- 1/4 pound wasabi peas, coarsely crushed
- Adjust oven rack to 4 inches from broiler elements and preheat oven to broil setting. Line sheet pan with foil, then oil foil.
- Cook the asparagus in a small saucepan of salted boiling water for 2 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Refresh under cold running water. Drain. Combine the asparagus with grapefruit segments, pea sprouts, radishes and avocados in a medium bowl.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of reserved grapefruit juice, vinegar, honey, ginger, scallions, 2 teaspoons sesame oil and vegetable oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place fish on prepared baking sheet and brush with remaining sesame oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil until just cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Toss asparagus mixture with just enough dressing to lightly coat. Arrange salads on plates and top with trout. Drizzle remaining dressing on fish and top with crushed wasabi peas. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad