If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of the first things I make as soon as anything remotely resembling summer hits. It's a cross between a pickle and a salad really, since it only takes a couple of hours for the flavours to develop from start to finish. Have it with your favorite Asian saucy noodles, dumplings, even pork belly baos (I've shared a recipe for that too). —Coco et Cocoa
Makes 2 cups
- 6 Persian cucumbers
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons rock sugar, substitute raw sugar if needed
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 Thai red chilies, optional
- Cut the cucumbers into thirds of their length. Smash them with the blade of the knife to break them open. Transfer the cucumbers into a large bowl and add the salt. Toss, then let them sweat for 5 minutes.
- Meanchile , smash chop the garlic.
- After 5 minutes, squeeze the excess moisture from the cucumbers. Then, rinse them under cold water to wash off the extra salt. Then, squeeze them dry again.
- Place the cucumbers, garlic, and remaining ingredients in a jar, cover tight with the lid, and shake it like you're a bubble tea Batista.
- Chill in the fridge for 1-4 hours before serving. Overnight is fine as well, but the color will turn darker. Serve with a couple drops with sesame oil stirred in.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad