If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Never had raw asparagus? This recipe lets you experience its grassy sweetness in its purest form, using the roasted lemon vinaigrette as a type of ceviche to soften the shaved stalks. Roasting the lemons turns their acidic qualities gentler, their sweetness further brought out by the thyme. Pan-roasted corn and spring onions mingle with bright peas to capture spring in every bite. —Liz Moody // Not Crazy Healthy
Shaved Asparagus Salad
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 6 green onions, tips and ends removed and cut in half
- 2 ears of corn (can sub 1 cup frozen corn), kernels cut off
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Dash olive oil, ghee, or coconut oil for cooking
Roasted Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette
- 3 lemons (preferably organic, as you'll be zesting them)
- 2 teaspoons honey (can sub maple syrup or coconut syrup if vegan)
- 1/4 cup olive oil + more to drizzle
- 5 - 6 sprigs fresh thyme, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Zest 2 lemons, then cut them in half and place them cut side down in a small baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and place in oven for 40 minutes.
- In a mason jar or small bowl, combine the minced garlic, salt, thyme, honey, and the juice of the 1 remaining lemon. Shake or mix well to combine.
- Wash your asparagus, then using a normal vegetable peeler, shave them by placing them on a large cutting board, the woody end facing away from you (don't cut it off before shaving, as you'll use it as a handle). In one long stroke, shave ribbons off the asparagus (it's okay if these vary in size). Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in a generous shake of salt.
- In a medium pot, boil a few cups of water, then add frozen peas. Boil for 4 - 5 minutes, or until bright green, then transfer immediately to an ice water bath. Drain well, then add to the shaved asparagus.
- Drizzle a saucepan with cooking oil of choice, using just enough to lightly coat the bottom of the entire pan. Heat the oil on medium high for 3 - 4 minutes, or until very hot, then add corn kernels and spring onions. Cook for until very dark brown and "roasted" looking, about 10 minutes. Let cool for a moment, then toss with asparagus and pea mixture.
- Remove lemons from the oven and use a spoon to remove seeds. Pour the juice from the baking pan into dressing mixture, then squeeze out additional roasted lemon insides. Shake or mix well, then add olive oil and shake or mix again. Toss with salad until well coated. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving, garnishing with fresh ground black pepper if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad