If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A colorful salad with lots of bright and fresh flavors from the Mediterranean and tender shrimp delicately flavored with ouzo make a perfect dish for your meal by the sea. —Michelle Escobar
Shrimp and Salad
- 1/2 pound shrimp (cleaned, shells and tails removed if you like)
- 1/2 cup ouzo liquor
- 1 small orange, cut in quarters
- 1 garlic clove, smashed with flat part of your knife
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 fresh ear of corn, husks removed and kernals cut from the ear
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 scallions, ends trimmed and cut thinly
- to taste salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup greek feta cheese (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
Lemon Mint Vinaigrette
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 jalapeno, very thinly sliced (keep the seeds and ribs if you want it spicer; remove for milder)
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- First poach the shrimp. Take a saucepan and fill it about 1/2 way with cold water. Add the ouzo, peppercorns, garlic, and bay leaf. Take the orange quarters and squeeze the juice into the water, then drop the quarters whole in as well. Add a little salt to taste (I do about 1/2 tsp). This is your poaching liquid. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat down so it's barely simmering. Cover with lid and let simmer for about 10 minutes so flavors can infuse. Turn off heat and add the shrimp in all at once. Let shrimp stay in poaching liquid until they turn opaque in color and are just firm to the touch -- around a minute, maybe minute and half (time will depend on how large your shrimp are). Remove with slotted spoon (as seen above) and let stand to cool. Discard poaching liquid.
- While the poaching liquid infuses, you can make the corn. Heat a little olive oil in a small sauté pan. Add the corn kernels and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook about 5 minutes -- the corn will turn bright yellow. Let stand to cool but best if use while still a little warm.
- To assemble the salad, simple place the arugula in a large mixing bowl. Add the scallions, corn, tomatoes, and shrimp. Season with some salt and pepper to taste. Add enough of the vinaigrette to moisten the salad and toss to combine. Top with feta cheese and serve immediately.
- To make the vinaigrette: Combine the juice, jalapeno and mint leaves in a bowl. Next, vigorously whisk in the oil until combined and thickened. Immediately pour over the salad and toss to combine.