- Prep time 1 hour
- Cook time 20 minutes
- Makes 6
lukewarm water, divided
2 1/4 teaspoons
raw or granulated sugar
all-purpose flour (plus more for kneading & rolling)
olive oil plus more for the bowl
In This Recipe
- In a cup, combine 3/4 cup of the water with all of the yeast and sugar. Stir together, then set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, place the flour and salt. Stir together, then make a well in the middle. Pour the water-yeast mixture into the well along with the olive oil. Mix together until it forms a shaggy dough. If the dough seems too dry, dribble in the remaining 1/4 cup of water and mix together.
- Scrape the contents of the bowl out onto a lightly floured surface and sprinkle with a bit more flour. Knead for around 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and soft. Oil the bowl and place the dough into it. Cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 6 roughly equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball. Using flour as needed, roll each ball of dough out into a roughly 8-inch circle (no rolling pin? Use a thick glass or a wine bottle!). Flour each circle well on both sides and cover with a kitchen towel so the dough doesn't dry out.
- Heat a skillet over a medium flame, then place a circle of dough into it. Leave it to bubble and rise until golden underneath (1 to 2 minutes), then flip using kitchen tongs or an offset spatula. Cook on the other side until the dough looks dry with darkened spots. Remove from the skillet and wrap in a clean kitchen towel while you cook the others.