If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
- 1 cup lukewarm water, divided
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons raw or granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for kneading & rolling)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for the bowl
- In a cup, combine 3/4 cup of the water with all of the yeast and sugar. Stir together, then set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, place the flour and salt. Stir together, then make a well in the middle. Pour the water-yeast mixture into the well along with the olive oil. Mix together until it forms a shaggy dough. If the dough seems too dry, dribble in the remaining 1/4 cup of water and mix together.
- Scrape the contents of the bowl out onto a lightly floured surface and sprinkle with a bit more flour. Knead for around 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and soft. Oil the bowl and place the dough into it. Cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 6 roughly equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball. Using flour as needed, roll each ball of dough out into a roughly 8-inch circle (no rolling pin? Use a thick glass or a wine bottle!). Flour each circle well on both sides and cover with a kitchen towel so the dough doesn't dry out.
- Heat a skillet over a medium flame, then place a circle of dough into it. Leave it to bubble and rise until golden underneath (1 to 2 minutes), then flip using kitchen tongs or an offset spatula. Cook on the other side until the dough looks dry with darkened spots. Remove from the skillet and wrap in a clean kitchen towel while you cook the others.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!